QUESTIONS & CONTACT
GET IN TOUCH
WHAT TO BRING WITH YOU:
• Waterproof sun block (factor 30 or above is advisable)
• Water bottle with water inside (preferably a reusable one, we recommend Kleen Canteen)
• Any medication you may need whilst on the water.
• Change of clothing (especially underwear)
• Swimming costume to wear under your wetsuit.
• Old trainers or water sport shoes (shoes you won’t mind getting wet!)
• Warm jacket to warm up the core when you come off the water.
* Please let me know if you cannot swim and I can supply a buoyancy aid for you.
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
INCLUDED IN THE TWO HOUR TUITION SESSION:
• Tuition from a qualified Water Skills Academy SUP Instructor
• JOBE Paddleboard, paddle and leash
• High quality technical top, longjohn wetsuit and jacket.
• Group first aid kit with qualified first aider.
• Local knowledge of the area we will be paddling.
• Photographs taken during the activity to help capture the moment.
• Hot drinks and biscuits at the end of the paddle!
WHAT DOES A TYPICAL SUP SESSION INVOLVE?
Once you have kitted up, we will walk you down to the water where your equipment will be waiting for you. I will introduce you to the equipment that we will be using then, getting onto the board, standing up and basic paddling. I will also cover how to fall in without risking injury, how to get back onto your board and how to launch safely before getting the group on board one-by-one.
Kneeling to begin with, we’ll get you used to the board and paddle for a few minutes before helping everyone to get safely standing up and paddling and able to stop and turn around. We will then go upstream to allow the initial techniques to bed in before we start to look at more advanced techniques. The ‘reverse sweep turn’ and the ‘stepback turn’ for smoother and quicker transitions.
All the while, we’ll be working on the basics to ensure an efficient, comfortable paddle stroke – and before you know it, you’ll be paddling confidently! As we paddle back to our starting point downstream, we will discuss safety, weather, route planning basics and South Coast paddle spots.
*Not every lesson will progress in exactly the same way, depending on weather conditions and the make-up of each group but, we will usually move on to advanced power strokes, surf-stance, step back turns and more before the end of the lesson…
Learn to Safely Paddle on Rivers, Canals and Lakes