Most of our lessons will take place on the sheltered waters of the River Wey, near Pyrford, Surrey. The water stays flat and safe in all but the worst weather!
Your lead instructor, Tim Speller, is a Water Skills Academy qualified for teaching SUP. He is an RYA First Aider and RYA Powerboat and RYA Rescue Boat certified. We are fully insured and take your safety seriously. Having worked in the events industry for many years, risk assessments of the lessons and the areas we will be paddling, will have been assessed prior to the beginning of the session.
Our lessons will include:
• Delivery of equipment
• Set up of the board (from out the bag)
• Hints and tips on pumping your inflatable board
• Consideration of the water you will be paddling on!
• Instruction on the use of the board
• River licences and their implications
• Weather, hydration and PPE!
Once you have kitted up in the carpark, we will walk you down to the water where your equipment will be waiting for you. You will be introduced to the equipment we will be using then, getting onto the board, standing up and basic paddling. We will also cover how to fall in without risking injury, how to get back onto your board and how to launch safely before getting the group on board one-by-one. Kneeling to begin with, we’ll get you used to the board and paddle for a few minutes before helping everyone to get safely standing up and paddling and able to stop and turn around. We will then go upstream to allow the initial techniques to bed in before we start to look at more advanced techniques.
The ‘reverse sweep turn’ and the ‘stepback turn’ for smoother and quicker transitions. All the while, we’ll be working on the basics to ensure an efficient, comfortable paddle stroke – and before you know it, you’ll be paddling confidently! As we paddle back to our starting point downstream, we will discuss safety, weather, route planning basics and South Coast paddle spots.
• Waterproof sun block (factor 30 or above is advisable)
• Water bottle with water inside (preferably a reusable one, we recommend Kleen Canteen)
• Any medication you may need whilst on the water • Change of clothing (especially underwear)
• Swimming costume to wear under your wetsuit • Old trainers or water sport shoes (shoes you won’t mind getting wet!)
• Warm jacket to warm up the core when you come off the water
* Please let me know if you cannot swim and I can supply a buoyancy aid for you.